Friday, February 24, 2012

As I Imagined It

So, I decided that  I thought it would be really interesting to design how I think the characters in As You Like It would look if they were animated. So, naturally, I started with Rosalind. I wanted her to have a spunky, sortof tough feel while still being beautiful and genuine. After several designs, this is the one so far that I liked best:


I wanted the big eyes to give the sweet, cartoony feel, but the rest of her to give the "heroine" personality that she is so known for in the play. She is independent, adventurous, strong-willed, clever and kind. I wanted to wrap all of her personality as best as I could. She needed to have the feel that she could be brave and tough, (especially considering she dresses and acts like a boy for the majority of the play) but also be beautiful and good-hearted. I feel like this design came closest to what I had in mind, making her feel feminine and yet like a heroin. 
Next, I designed Orlando, Rosalind's lover. He is the youngest son of Sir Rowland de Bois, and has lived his life without the education or training he should have. Still, he is attractive and sees everything positively, including himself despite all he has missed out on. He is kind and heroic, as he later saves his brother (who is the reason he received no education) from a lioness, proving him to be good-natured. He doesn't seem quite the match for Rosalind's wit or intelligence, but he definitely is a good match for her. So I wanted to make him look the sensitive, caring, but strong guy that he is: Rosalind's opposite.
Next, I wanted to create Celia, Rosalind's cousin and loyal best friend. She is defined by her sweetness and loyalty. She follows Rosalind into exile and is completely devoted to her. When she eventually meets Oliver, she becomes utterly devoted to him as well. Her personality is one of love and sincerity, and almost overbearingly so. She has deeply rooted emotions which drive her. I wanted to convey this sweet, intuitive girl who relies so heavily on what she feels, and this is what I came up with.


Oliver is next. He is the lover of Celia, and Orlando's elder brother. He is something of a villain, it would seem at first. He denies his brother the education and luxuries of a nobleman. He even admits that he hates Orlando for no real reason. He goes to great lengths to put give his brother grief and ensure his downfall. Later, however, he gets lost in the forest and is miserable after being employed to find his missing brother. While there, he is attacked by a lion, and is saved by Orlando. This act changes Oliver's entire outlook, and he becomes a loving and better person. He falls for Celia as well, which is saying something about his change too because at the time he believes her only to be a shepherdess.









Alright, so I'm going to finish a few more designs of main characters and post them in another post, but I wanted to get these up!













4 comments:

  1. Man, I really wish I could draw. I like how you defined how you drew your characters based on their personalities. I can definitely see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you enjoyed these! Take a look at the new post I put up, it has a few more!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow...yeah Andrew we're definitely going to have to stick with the stick figures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aubrie, these are awesome. I really agree that your explanations and definitions really help a lot! Looking forward to checking out your other post.

    ReplyDelete