Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Through the Looking Glass: Winter 2012

So, reflecting on the learning outcomes for the class for the semester. This has been such a wonderful class and fun experience for me! And now to discuss how I performed overall.

  1. Gain “Shakespeare Literacy.”
    Demonstrate mastery over fundamental information about Shakespeare’s works, life, and legacy
    • I think that overall, I did well with this. I learned a lot, gaining a knowledge of many of Shakespeare's works which I hadn't known much about before. I certainly gained depth with multiple plays, particularly my individual play, "As You Like It". I saw multiple performances and interpretations both live and in film. I learned a bit about popular culture of Shakespeare's time as well as how his works affect our pop culture today.
  2. Analyze Shakespeare Critically
    Interpret Shakespeare’s works critically in their written form, in performance (stage or screen) and in digitally mediated transformations. 
    • I think that I improved in this area throughout the semester. It definitely was one of my weaker points, trying to analyze the text specifically on formal devices and such. But I think I got better at it as time went on.
  3. Engage Shakespeare Creatively
    • This outcome was certainly my strong suit. I really wanted to use creative aspects in my studies in this class. I did lots of personal creative work, mostly in art & animation. I designed characters for multiple plays and did a lot with film ideas. I created a storyboard for our final collaborative project. 
  4. Share Shakespeare Meaningfully
    • This outcome I worked really hard to do well at, although I didn't do anything really huge. I spent a lot of time discussing Shakespeare outside of class with roommates, family members, co-workers, etc. I also shared most of my work for the final collaborative project with several people and got feedback about what I produced. That really made the project that much more fun for me because I got to not only discuss Shakespeare, but I got to do it using creativity and media forms which a lot of people are interested in. And of course, there was my blog. 
  5. Gain Digital Literacy
    Students use their study of Shakespeare as a way of understanding and developing fluency in 21st century learning skills and computer-mediated modes of communication. Those skills are grouped under the following categories.
    1. I improved my digital literacy during this class, with learning about blogging, youtube, and connecting with people online in discussion groups about Shakespeare. I'm not sure exactly how to measure this outcome - - but I did enjoy incorporating the digital world in this class!

No comments:

Post a Comment