Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Love Labour's Lost & An Adventure

(So, I realized this saved as a draft rather than posting online but it was written last week. Oops.)


So, I had an interesting experience tonight. I wanted to post a little bit about Love Labour's Lost, but before I do that, I also want to mention why I missed class this week. I had a very strange experience that almost is surreal. I went to leave my apartment to head up to campus, and upon exiting, I reached the staircase that leads from my second floor apartment. And guess what I found? The bottom half of the staircase had been removed! I couldn't help but laugh a little in pure awe and confusion. Apparently the staircase had no longer been up to standards, and so the complex had sent people to remove/ replace the stairs. But they didn't bother to tell anyone, and, it just happened to be perfect timing for when I should be leaving. So, I was trapped by the five+ feet drop where the stairs had previously been, and the massive tools and sharp objects/ chunks of cement that were around the workers' feet. It almost felt like a joke, and I didn't even really know how to use that as an excuse for missing class. But there you go. Haha


Anyway. Love Labour's Lost. Act 1. There are a few things about this act that I really enjoyed. First, I loved the language in it. I loved how right from the beginning it had a flow, a rhythm. It rhymed a lot, which made it funny to read, especially as it is four men talking about how they have sworn off women and food. It was like reading a happy poem about how they have decided to become scholarly celibates.

I also thought it was funny how nobody seemed to have any common sense but Berowne in realizing that the oath was going to be really difficult, and even was borderline ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment